Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Spiritual Side of Hashimoto's

I sat in front of the doctor in tears.  "I don't understand.  How did I get this disease?  I really can't handle anything else wrong with my body."  In addition to this new Hashimoto's diagnosis, I had been recovering from serious physical injuries to my body from an auto accident with a semi-truck.  I really didn't think I could handle any more bad news.  We had just finished a long legal battle with the truck company to pay for my medical bills.  Within a three month span, my dear grandmother had past as well as two of my friends (way too young.)  I was under enormous pressure and in the thick of deep sadness.  Now this.

My caring doctor looked at me and explained all the medical reasons as to why I had gotten this disease.  "But," he said, "there is a spiritual component as well."  What he went on to explain made perfect sense to me.  The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped organ located in your throat, your 5th chakra.  The 5th chakra is linked to your ability to communicate and be heard.  It is also correlated to faith and understanding. I had been through a 5-year long legal battle with this truck company.  Had my voice been heard?  No.  Did I have to squash so many negative and angry feelings just to survive this period? Yes.  Was I in a period of faith and understanding?  NO.  I had just lost two people in my life, who were under the age of 40, for reasons I couldn't comprehend.  I had little faith or understanding of why they had to leave this world.

What the doctor was saying struck a chord deep in my soul.  He explained that when you don't communicate your feelings, when you squash what's inside, your body reacts in ways to make you notice and put you back in balance.  When you have Hashimoto's/Autoimmune thryroiditis, your body is literally attacking itself.  You are attacking your thyroid, the seat of communication. My body was literally crying out, "Pay attention to your voice. Be heard.  It's time to speak."

When I thought back, I hadn't been myself for years. Once a brazen, loud-mouthed, jovial type who sang and laughed often, I found myself turned inward, never speaking my true thoughts. I always had a knot in my throat.  I often kept my mouth shut when I really had so much to say.   The doctor said, "You really have to find your voice again. This is the way you're going to heal."  

For the next couple of posts, I'm going to share with you the techniques I've learned to better communicate with myself and with others.  Do you believe there is a spiritual component to thyroid disease?  What are your thoughts?  Join the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a forum for anyone whose life has been affected by Hashimoto's. We appreciate all supportive comments, inspirations and ideas. Please respect the community by using positive language in postings.

Kindly,
Healing Hashimoto's Naturally