Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Stress Component: Massage Miracles

Having Hashimoto's can be very stressful.  Not only do the symptoms cause a lot of stress but handling stress itself is more difficult given our compromised nervous systems.  I know I used to pride myself on how well I handled stress.  In my previous life (pre-HT), I thought stress was for ninnies.  Just deal with things and move on was my attitude.  Not so much anymore....

My poor husband has to deal with a lady who breaks down all the time anymore.  Things that would never have bothered me in the past create not only a stress reaction now but a strong physical one.  As soon as I stress, my body goes into panic mode.  On top of that, the more I read and speak to doctors and healers, the more I receive the message, "Limit Your Stress.  It's exacerbating your condition!"  Well, if hearing that when you can't seem to control your nervous system isn't stressful, I don't know what is.

So, to nourish my sweet, sensitive nervous system these days, I get a massage as often as I can afford it.  It really has had a positive impact on my ability to manage stress and on my symptoms.  There are many ways that massage can help.  Here are a few of them:
  • Getting an hour to yourself!
  • Enhances Immunity
  • Alleviates Pain
  • Relaxes the Nervous System
  • Stimulates the Lymphatic System
Really, the list could go on and on.  What about you?  Do you use massage to manage stress?  What kind of massage works best for you?

Live in the LA area and want the best massage?  Go to Burke Williams (my happy place) and make an appointment with Caroline (at the Santa Monica location).  She's the best!  Speaking of which, I should make my appointment now....

And don't forget, massage doesn't have to be expensive.  Trade massages with a friend or partner or even find a great massage therapist and trade services!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a forum for anyone whose life has been affected by Hashimoto's. We appreciate all supportive comments, inspirations and ideas. Please respect the community by using positive language in postings.

Kindly,
Healing Hashimoto's Naturally