Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dry Brushing: Better than coffee!

As many of us know, toxicity from the environment and heavy metals can play a role in causing Hashimoto's.  One of the first things my doctor suggested to help with detox my system was to work on supporting the lymphatic system.  Dry brushing is a simple, inexpensive way to start that process.

Dry brushing stimulates the lymphatic system and sets in motion the body's natural healing process.  It also promotes blood circulation and aids in releasing toxins.  In Ayurveda, this process is called Garshana.  I first learned about Garshana in 2007 when I attended the Perfect Health program at the Chopra Center.  After a week of Ayurvedic treatments and food, I felt better than I ever had before.  Of course, this was before I had Hashimoto's.  Because I have sensitive skin, I was wary of taking those scratchy, dry bristles and brushing my skin with them but after my doctor reminded me of this type of therapy, I gave it a try. 

Now, I'm hooked!

With all the fatigue and fog that can come with Hashimoto's, dry brushing is a welcome treatment.  Before I was diagnosed, I drank gallons of coffee to keep my energy up.  Now that I know it's best to skip the coffee, I dry brush first thing in the morning. It only takes me 5 minutes! The stimulation from my skin being brushed wakes me up in such a refreshing way that I now look forward to the brush instead of a Cup of Joe.  It's a pretty amazing experience and here are some of its benefits:
  • Assists body's lymphatic system to release toxins
  • Exfoliates the skin
  • Promotes cell regeneration
  • Can improve cellulite (I'm still waiting to see those results! ;-)
  • Leaves you feeling energized and invigorated (no need for the coffee!)
This is how the Chopra Center suggests you dry brush.  I have seen other methods as well. I just do what feels best to me.

Won't you give it a try?  And, if you have, tell us your experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a forum for anyone whose life has been affected by Hashimoto's. We appreciate all supportive comments, inspirations and ideas. Please respect the community by using positive language in postings.

Kindly,
Healing Hashimoto's Naturally