Friday, March 23, 2012

Gluten-free Holidays: Spring

Holidays are often tricky to navigate when you or someone in your family has to stick to a gluten-free diet.  In my house, two of us eat gluten-free and we're always trying to create some semblance of "normalcy" during holidays.  With Passover and Easter on the horizon, I thought I would pass along a few resources for celebrating, gluten-free style.

At GlutenFreeMatzo.com (pictured left), they provide a host of traditional Passover foods in gluten-free form.  This site was quite a find!  There is a helpful recipe section and they even sell a gluten-free Passover cookbook.  In addition, they offer gluten-free noodles, horseradish, honey and macaroons. All items are Kosher.  I especially like the gluten-free matzo.  Next, I have to try the macaroons (oh wait, I gave those up.  See - The Power of Sugar). If only they sold those little chocolate ring jell candies I adored as a child! I contacted the company for some information and to grab a box of matzo for my son and they were very helpful, courteous, generous and kind.  A great company all around.

Now, on to Easter....oh, Easter.  As a child who grew up in a house with Easter and Passover and now, an adult who is raising a family that celebrates both Easter and Passover, it is always so hard to get that Easter basket during Passover and have to wait until Passover is over to eat any of the goods inside.  Man, did I look forward to the chocolate bunny, Cadbury eggs, jelly beans and the Peeps.  Now that I have a little one, the Easter basket gets even more challenging by trying to make it gluten-free and low in sugar.  This year, since my son and I are also on the GAPS diet, I will be making homemade Easter treats - I'll let you know how that goes.  In the meantime, Indie Candy  is a great site to try if you need to make Easter an allergen free holiday.  Now, if I could only find some organic, gluten-free, low sugar Peeps!

Do you have special dietary needs?  How does it affect your holiday shopping?  Any recipes to share?  Leave a comment below.  Join the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a forum for anyone whose life has been affected by Hashimoto's. We appreciate all supportive comments, inspirations and ideas. Please respect the community by using positive language in postings.

Kindly,
Healing Hashimoto's Naturally